2019 marks 30 years of the MHCA providing dedicated safety services and programming to the heavy construction industry.
From the outset, the safety program in the heavy construction industry was driven by the demand from and experience of our industry. The program has evolved from the provision of advice and training to a comprehensive, nationally recognized certification system designed for our industry.
Our success reflects the fact this programming was developed by industry for industry.
First safety advisor hired by the MHCA
Development of the first safety and health training program for industry
Development of a program to address environmental issues
MHCA’s two programs branded as the Safety Health Environment Program
Establish with other Canadian partners the nationally recognized Certificate of Recognition (COR™) program
Led establishment of the SAFE Roads Manitoba
Introduction of the 5% COR discount on WCB premiums
Delivery of new Winter Road Safety training to northern communities
MHCA’s safety program rebranded as WORKSAFELY™
Introduction of e-COR
WORKSAFELY™ safety advisors located in all regions of the province
COR™ certification mandatory for government construction contracts >$100,000
WORKSAFELY™ endorses National Construction Safety Officer designation
WCB introduces 15% prevention rebate for COR-certified companies
340 companies are COR™ certified, covering 75% of the workforce
WORKSAFELY™’s 30th anniversary
What does 30 years of safety success look like?
- Injury rate reduced from 7.5/100 workers in 2000 to 3.6 in 2017
- Average compensation rates for the industry reduced from $3.72 in 2000 to $1.67 in 2018
- Number of COR™ companies grow from 40 in 2001 to 340 in 2018 – 75% of our industry’s workforce
- Industry-based COR™ certification becomes mandatory in 2014 for all government construction projects >$100,000
- In 2016, WCB introduces safety certification for other industries based on the COR™ model
- Industry’s investment pays off through the new 15% rebate for COR™ certified companies in 2018